What are the The Outstanding Building of The Year (TOBY) Awards?
The Outstanding Building of the Year (TOBY) Awards are the most prestigious and comprehensive programs of their kind in the commercial real estate industry recognizing quality in buildings and rewarding excellence in building management.
During the competitions, all facets of a building's operations are thoroughly evaluated. Buildings are judged on everything from community involvement and site management to environmental and "green" policies and procedures.
- Sign up for the information session!
- Call for entry packet - Everything you need to know
- How to enter your building - Step by step instructions
- Property information guide and inspection
- TOBY Workshop Video
Why do building owners and property managers enter the TOBY competition?
- Everyone who enters the TOBY competition is a winner—not only the buildings, but the management teams as well.
- At each of three levels—local, regional and international—winners are recognized by their peers and throughout the commercial real estate industry.
- All entered buildings receive publicity while winners will get special recognition in the press, through the BOMA organization and in the industry.
- Building owners will know that their properties meet the highest commercial real estate industry standards.
- Each building will receive a free comprehensive review as well as constructive feedback from the judging team.
The Benefits to Owners of Winning a TOBY Award:
- Winners will receive local and national press coverage, recognition in trade publications, business journals and newspapers.
- Winners will have an outstanding leasing message for prospective tenants and renewals.
- Tenants will share the pride in their building being selected The Outstanding Building of the Year.
- Winners will get recognized at local, regional and international levels.
- Winners will garner recognition for their building from other industry professionals.
Judging Guidelines and Forms
TOBY Entry Categories
|Earth||Suburban Office Park (Low-Rise)|
|Historical Building||Suburban Office Park (Mid-Rise)|
|Industrial Office Building||Under 100,000 Square Feet|
|Medical Office Building||100,000-249,999 Square Feet|
|Mixed-Use||250,000-499,999 Square Feet|
|Public Assembly||500,000 – 1 Million Square Feet|
|Renovated Building||Over 1 Million Square Feet|
Additionally, BOMA has invested in making quality improvements to the TOBY portal and has extended its use to the local BOMA associations with the ability to judge submissions online. These improvements have resulted in ensuring that locals have the tools to streamline the process and uphold the integrity of the program. In order to maintain the quality of the program and continue to make improvements, the fees have been increased. This is the first program increase in over 10 years.
Local submission fee (admin fee): BOMA International $50.00, Denver Metro BOMA $200
Regional submission fee: $325.00*
*Plus any other fees designated by the region.
LEVELS OF COMPETITION
There are three levels to the competition: Local, Regional and International. Buildings must complete and win at the local and then regional level to qualify for the International competition. TOBY International Awards are presented at the BOMA International Conference every June.