What is Foundations?
- A soup-to-nuts, 6-module, 30-hour, entry-level course, covering the fundamentals of commercial real estate administration, management, building systems, accounting and reporting, contract management and more.
- Classroom instruction from seasoned professionals, reinforced by behind-the-scenes tours of outstanding buildings.
- Live, in-person training with small class sizes to facilitate learning, discussion and team activities.
- A complete package—instruction, peer networking, property tours and a comprehensive course manual that is easy to read and a valuable resource back on the job.
For all experience levels, Foundations...
- Reinforces on-the-job training for junior and assistant property managers.
- Provides “feet on the ground” experience and exposure for administrative assistants and students considering a career in commercial real estate.
- Offers a great refresher for experienced professionals—fills training gaps and provides important management and operations updates.
- Supports suppliers and building engineers who benefit from understanding the basics of real estate management.
NOTE: BOMI currently waives the $225 Designation fee for anyone completing the Foundations Course.
Leadership Session Descriptions
Session I – Real Estate Administration
- A Day in the Life of a Real Estate Manager
- Asset Management and Valuation
- Tenant Relations and Retention
- Contracting for Goods and Services
- Leasing and Marketing
- Insurance and Risk Management
- Industrial Properties
Session II – The Well Versed Real Estate Manager
- Emergency Preparedness
- Tenant Improvements and Capital Projects
- Accounting and Reporting
- Base Rent and Operating Expense Recoveries
- Due Diligence
- The Business Plan
- Safety and Environmental Issues
- Retail Properties
Session III – Building Operations I
- Heating, Ventilating, and Cooling the Building
- Domestic Water
- Electrical Distribution
- Work Orders
- Mixed-Use Properties
Session IV – Building Operations II
- Fire Alarm and Fire Sprinkler Systems
- Building Maintenance
- Elevators and Escalators
- Roofing Systems
- Solid Waste Management and Recycling
- Janitorial Services
- Medical Office Properties
Session V – Putting It All Together
- Pest Management
- Landscaping and Snow removal
- Special Considerations